The Norwegian Scientific Committee for Food Safety has performed an assessment of the differences between organic and conventional foods and food production on plant health, animal health and welfare and human health at the request of the Norwegian Food Safety Authority.
The assessments are based on review of the scientific literature. Separate literature searches were performed and one or two expert reviewers from the five working groups examined the literature.
In addition, relevant assessments for the purpose, prepared by international and national scientific bodies, were included.
The work was divided into five parts:
- (I) Plant health and plant production
- (II) Animal health and welfare
- (III) Human health - nutrition and contaminants
- (IV) Human health – hygiene and pathogens
- (V) Human health - pesticide residues
The assessment was published 30th April 2014.